Position Title: French Teacher
Immediate Supervisor: School Director
Location: German International School Chicago, 1447 W Montrose Ave, Chicago, IL 60613
About the School
German International School Chicago (GISC) is an independent, not-for-profit, bilingual school. Since opening its doors in 2009, GISC has grown to over 100 students from Pre-K through 6th grade. For the 2017/18 school year, GISC will offer courses for students from Pre-K through 7th grade. The School intends to grow to the completion of high school with the addition of one grade per year.
GISC’s curriculum is taught mainly in German with an intercultural approach. GISC students work on transdisciplinary units with global perspectives within the framework of the International Baccalaureate (IB). GISC welcomes students and staff of all backgrounds and nationalities. Currently, our school represents over 20 different nationalities. It is a very open-minded, diverse, positive, and international workplace with a strong sense of community. Our teaching approach encourages learning in a supportive, intimate, individualized environment with the goal of nurturing curiosity, creativity, and global awareness. GISC students – fluent in German and English – will become well-rounded, creative, responsible, and tolerant global citizens.
French is taught as a Foreign Language, starting in 3rd grade.
We take pride in our staff being warm, welcoming team players who thrive in a diverse, intercultural environment where they are able to tap into their full potential.
- Bachelor’s degree or graduate degree in French or French Education
- Teaching experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to thrive in an intercultural environment
GISC is seeking an enthusiastic, committed and professional French Teacher who provides instruction to students in Grades 3-7 during the school year 2017/18. Teaching duties comprise a total of nine instructional periods per week.
Essential Job Functions
- Plan, initiate and guide units of study in French which involve speaking, listening, writing, and reading.
- Provide appropriate instruction to the students that will help them attain competency in the French language, applying innovative teaching methods informed by current research.
- Assess student learning and progress, grade papers, keep records, write reports, and provide feedback.
- Attend all-staff and IB meetings and collaborate with other teachers.
Other Job Responsibilities
- Create the French language course syllabus and curriculum for the entire year. Separate the syllabus into lecture sessions. Submit plans for each week.
- Hold timely meetings with the students and the students’ parents to discuss the demeanor of the students in the class, as well as their performance in academic tests and examinations.
Work authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in the US
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
Start date: August 2017
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
GISC is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here for a pdf version of the above job opportunity.